Friday 26 April 2013

Back to making clothes, again......

Well the sewing bee had me well and truly inspired, strange as I sew nearly every day, but I hadn't made clothes for a long time. I think the last time that I actually made anything to wear was when I was at college studying fashion and textiles, nearly 20 years ago!!!! ooh now that makes me feel old!

After my little Miss Chloe was born, I really wanted to start making little clothes again, following in my mothers foot steps who made nearly all of my clothes when I was little, more from necessity than just wanting to.

I bought two lovely Oliver + S patterns from http://www.fabrichq.co.uk/ last summer, and even though I kept getting them out, and looking for fabric in my HUGE fabric stash, I kept putting it off.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge!

I chose a lovely pale pink ditsy floral cotton, which I picked up from Leicester market while back and started......

Oliver + S patterns have a lovely vintage feel about them

I decided to do the little top version of the dress, as Miss Chloe is not a dress person....

The pattern was easy to understand and it quickly came together, although I do want to make another with some changes.... I would sew up the side seams and underarm seams with a french seam rather then the single machine stitch which I edged with my overlocker, as I feel that it would look better and have a more professional finish. I was always taught at college that the insides should be finished to the same standard as the outside....

Anyway the top has been a huge success as Chloe has worn it a number of times, and I had great fun making it, yes it would of been cheaper to pop to primark and pick up a £3 top but would I rather have something that was made with love, something that had been made by me for my daughter with love and devotion in every stitch. 
The finished top, made with love in every stitch...
Right, I'm off to raid the fabric stash to make another..... Happy sewing.

Love Kirsty x

1 comment: